• Advertisement

How do you access google.com?

Having questions about working on Microworkers?

Postby ian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi guys,

I have noticed a few jobs require (as part of their instructions) the worker to search google.com using a specific phrase and then click on a specific website.

Unfortunately I live in the UK and if I try to access google.com Google immediately, automatically, redirects me to google.co.uk. I did not think this would be a problem but I recently attempted a job which asked me to click on the "3rd and 5th" listed website when searching for a specific phrase. The websites in the 3rd and 5th positions were completely different from what the employer was looking for. I also had the problem that another job asked me to search for a phrase and click on certain website in position 2. This time the Employer hinted at the name of the website which I was supposed to find and when I searched for it using it's name I was able to find it ON GOOGLE PAGE 5 (not page 1 as they said). It looks like some websites rank quite differently on google.co.uk than they do on google.com.

I have 2 questions:

1. How do workers who do not live in the USA access google.com to carry out MicroWorker tasks?

2. If the websites appear in different positions on google.co.uk compared to google.com does this mean that the "Page Rank" of a website also varies depending on which country the searcher lives in?

The reason I ask is that I notice a lot of jobs specify that a website I post on should be "PR1" or "PR2". I assume that this means PR1 or PR2 when viewed from whatever country the Cheetuh software is hosted. Is it possible that a website which appears as PR2 when viewed on google.co.uk may actually be a PR1 or even an unrated website when viewed in the USA?

Ian.
My Blog, Join me on FaceBook, Join me on Twitter
ian

Postby operarius » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Ian,
regarding your first question, you can access google.com from the UK using "http://www.google.com/ncr". In this case ncr means "no country redirect" and you can actually use this trick to access every localized version of google you want, e.g. if you want to use the Chinese version you can just try http://www.google.cn/ncr .

Regarding your second questions, no pages don't have different page ranks in different countries. The page rank is a measure based on the number of links pointing to a web page and about 200 other factors. This measure is in depended of the country from which you access the page. However, the ranking on the google search page is not only dependent on the page rank but also on your location, your previous queries you submitted to google and many other things. So to be short, if you brower bar tells you that the page has a page rank of 2 that it also has a page rank of 2 for Cheetuh.

I hope this solves you questions,
Operarius.
operarius
Site Admin

Postby ian » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:57 pm

operarius wrote:you can access google.com from the UK using "http://www.google.com/ncr". In this case ncr means "no country redirect"

Thanks for that very useful tip Operarius! Knowing this trick means gives me the courage to attempt some of those Google search jobs again.

operarius wrote:pages don't have different page ranks in different countries. The page rank is a measure based on the number of links pointing to a web page and about 200 other factors. This measure is in depended of the country from which you access the page. ... So to be short, if you brower bar tells you that the page has a page rank of 2 that it also has a page rank of 2 for Cheetuh.

Big sigh of relief!

Thanks for your detailed replies Operarius. Your comments have been very helpful.

Ian.
ian

Postby ian » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:20 pm

operarius wrote:However, the ranking on the google search page is not only dependent on the page rank but also on your location, your previous queries you submitted to google and many other things.

Hi Operarius,

Am I correct in thinking (based on what you have said above) that if an Employer says workers must click on "the 3rd and 5th result" when doing a Goggle search then each worker may see a different website in position 3 and 5, even if both workers use Google.com, because one worker may be in the UK, the other worker may be in India and the Employer may be in Singapore?

This will mean that each worker will click on different websites to what the Employer is expecting and so the Employer may mark their work as "not satisfied" even though they have followed his instructions exactly.

Look at Job ID: bb310737295b for an example of a Google search job like I am trying to explain.

1. Search in google.co.uk for the following term:
"tej kohli"
1. Search in google.co.uk for the following term:
"tej kohli grafix"
2. Click on the 1st and 4th result which appears in google
Note of its URLs for proof (paste it in the proof box)
3. Search in google.co.uk for the following term:
"tej kohli costa rica"
4. Click on the 1st and 6th result which appears in google
Note of its URLs for proof (paste it in the proof box)

I wonder if the Microworkers Administrators are aware of this kind of problem with Google Search jobs if a Worker submits a complaint about being wrongly marked as Unsatisfied?

Ian.
ian

Postby operarius » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi Ian,

basically you are right. But I think that the search queries are most of the time that specific that everyone sees the same results.
operarius
Site Admin

Return to Questions